Benefits of forest certification and S.D.&G. CFO membership for woodlot owners:
Membership in the SD&G CFO is open to any individual, group or organization that supports the objectives of Forest Certification.
The Ontario Trillium Foundation (OTF), is an agency of the government of Ontario (Ministry of Culture) and one of Canada’s leading grantmaking foundations. It was created in 1982. Foundation grants are provided to eligible Ontario not-for-profit and charitable organizations in the areas of arts and culture, the environment, human and social services and sports and recreation. (Link to website)
In November of 2011, the Ontario Trillium Foundation approved SD&G CFO’s request for funding. Over the next year monies will be directed towards strengthening the organizational capacity of the SDG CFO Inc.
The project has 7 main objectives:
1. to improve the SDG CFO organizational structure through the creation of a Business Plan that will address the organizations goals and objectives, establishes timelines for increasing membership, update current by-laws and address long-term organizational and financial sustainability;
2. to promote and increase SDG CFO membership; 10% over the 12 month period.
3. to provide technical forest management assistance to SDG CFO members with on-site property visits.
4. to assist with the organization of the 2012 Glengarry Wood Fair & Wood Auction, the SDG CFO's largest and most successful community event. The Wood Fair’s aim is provide an avenue for members to sell and purchase certified forest products and to grow the public’s respect and admiration for all things wood.
5. to explore and create a database of local and regional market opportunities for certified forest products.
6. to explore additional funding opportunities with an aim to assist members with the implementation of their forest management plans (FMP), creation of promotional resource material and delivery of membership educational workshops.
7. to deliver three educational workshops to interested SDG CFO members and other interested woodlot owners with relevant topics that will assist them to learn more about their properties, determine their property objectives, assist with planning activities and ensure long-term property management. This activity would be delivered by our forest management consultants.
Link to Trillium
Click on Trillium Logo to page where description of SD&G CFO grant listed